Saturday, June 5, 2010

YOU ARE WORTH IT TOO

Not long ago my sweet cousin Betty came up here to Savannah for a visit.

I've been living here since December with my baby daughter Krissy. Doesn't matter if you turn 26 this year - cause you are still the baby.

What a gab fest we had. We ran it in free form style. That way we couldn't forget anything too important.

So now you need to know some background information. Betty's father died when she was about 3. My mother had lost her own mother at child birth and our grandmother, GiGi raised my mother. The connection is Betty's father, Edward, was GiGi' son. Betty and I are only 1 year apart.

My mom had this fetish of not spending money on nice household goods. No fine sheets, towels, linens, blankets were to be found. No sir we were just going to find the most common varieties for everyday use.

If we had special company they got the good stuff the little that there was.

I told Betty I had been on a crusade over the last several years to replace all my household goods. After all I'm worth it.

Why should only the occasional visitor get all the pretty treats. So we giggled like school girls with a new quest.

I have made a huge change in the way I buy and I feel so special each time I pamper myself.

Cousin Betty called me a couple weeks after returning home to Florida. She had taken our talk to heart and decided she was worth it too. She hit Marshall's, Targets, T.J. Maxx among others and has made a House and Garden TV makeover to her sweet little condo. And why not. We are each more than deserving of looking around our modest homes and seeing small vignettes that tell a little story about us and who we are.

I hope the movement spreads among our family and close friends.

Those special decorator gifts we are given were meant to be used. Those candles and lotions were meant to be pleasure now and not to be tucked away. Shout it from the roof tops - I"M WORTH IT!! By Noreen Reilly

2 comments:

  1. Oh Reenie, you were worth that and so much more! I miss you already my dear sister.

    ReplyDelete